Saturday, October 08, 2005

Oh, nuts!!

My grandparents own about 2 1/2 acres of land in the mountains southwest of the Royal Gorge. We planned a family outing with my family and my grandparents for Saturday. Before we headed up there, we stopped at this awesome rock shop (my sister is obssesed with them) just outside of Canon City. Lizzy and Em both got a necklace of an animal (turtle and dolphin respectively) carved out of stone. Me...........well I got a slab of green quartz. Nothing too fancy!! I'll probably just use it as a door stop or something of that sort.
Oh, it was so nice up there. The wind was blowing through the pine trees, and the mountains themselves were gorgeous. I'm not sure if I could live up there though; you can't seem to beat the plains and being able to see for miles and miles. Today we decided to have a look around. We walked around for about 20 minutes looking for anything different since the last time we had been up there (2 years ago). I'm glad to say that there were no new inhabitants, although many different animals have passed through there, judging by the tracks. So we got to the edge of the property and my mom spotted pinon nuts. We had seen some pinon trees when we first arrived with half-opened pinecones on them. We didn't give them much thought. As I was saying......we got to the edge of the property.......then my mom, grandma, grandpa, and dad start pulling off sappy, half-opened pinecones (my sister was collecting them). They discovered that inside the pinecones were pinon nuts, so they all start cracking them open. Picking the cones from the trees seemed a good idea at the time, until someone looked down and saw that the nuts are littering the ground. We chucked the idea of tree picking and started scouring the ground. We all sat there for I would say about.........oh, an hour and a half picking nuts. My dad was picking them and eating them at the same time!! I'm not to certain which he did more of eat or pick!!! Ok, well sorry for carrying on and on and on. Thanks for reading my boring blog (if you even got this far)!!